Mobile DTV Alliance More than Doubles in Size, Supporting Acceleration of DVB-H Deployment in North America
Alliance Members Showcase Live Mobile Digital TV Demonstrations at CTIA
LAS VEGAS, April 5, 2006 - Since its founding earlier this year, the Mobile DTV Alliance has more than doubled in size, gaining many new members that will support its mission to drive acceleration of DVB-H deployment in North America. Members of the Alliance will demonstrate multiple mobile digital TV implementations at this week’s CTIA Wireless show in Las Vegas (April 5-7, 2006). Visitors to the Alliance’s booth (#2653-W) can interact with handsets from several different member companies, and will get to experience live mobile TV at their fingertips.
“The announcement of multiple new members underscores the Mobile DTV Alliance’s commitment to supporting an open standard for mobile digital TV broadcast, and will help grow this exciting space with more choices across the value chain for silicon, handsets, service and more,” said Yoram Solomon, president of the Mobile DTV Alliance, and Director of Strategic Marketing and Industry Relations for Mobile Connectivity Solutions, Texas Instruments. “Broad industry support for DVB-H should allow mobile DTV handsets and service to reach the mass market faster and at a much lower cost for consumers.”
The new Contributor and Associate members represent companies from across the value chain, and include ATI Technologies, Axcera, Broadcom, DiBcom, Newport Media, PacketVideo, Penthera Technologies, RfStream, Roundbox, RRD and Terayon Communication Systems. These new members join the founding sponsor members Intel, Microsoft, Modeo, Motorola, Nokia and Texas Instruments, leaders in the wireless and entertainment markets.
Mobile DTV Alliance members will demonstrate multiple DVB-H based demonstrations at CTIA, allowing visitors to experience live mobile TV at their fingertips. Public demonstrations include:
- ATI Technologies - Booth #1060 - ATI is showcasing a complete DVB-H mobile TV solution and will demonstrate real-time reception on the live Modeo DVB-H network with devices based on ATI’s Imageon WTV100-M front end module.
- Axcera - Multiple booths - Axcera’s DVB-H transmitter solutions are used in partner demonstrations with Intel, Modeo and Texas Instruments showing transmission of live and local DVB-H transmissions.
- DiBcom - Multiple booths - DiBcom’s solutions are used in partner demonstrations with Microsoft and Modeo, showing reception of both live and local DVB-H and DVB-T transmissions on ultra-mobile laptops, in-car systems, PDAs and Smartphones.
- Intel - Booth #3406, 4159 - Intel will feature the InterVideo DVB-H player using DiBcom/Avermedia/Modeo solution for DVB-H, running on Intel XScale® processor-based handsets and handhelds.
- Microsoft ? Booth #1000 ? Discover how Microsoft is helping partners and service providers deliver mobile DTV DVB-H solutions by utilizing the Windows Media platform.
- Modeo ? Multiple booths ? Modeo will support live demonstrations on a variety of mobile development platforms in a variety of partner booths, including TI, Philips and ATI.
- Motorola ? Booth #2606 ? Motorola showcases end-to-end DVB-H solutions for mobile and demonstrates TV delivery to the automobile, seamlessly streaming content to the backseat screen using DVB-H technology.
- Newport Media ? Private suite ? Newport Media will demonstrate its “Sundance H” DVB-H tuner/demodulator technology.
- Nokia ? Booths #9260, 2614 ? “Watch new,” as Nokia brings mobile digital television to life with demonstrations of DVB-H solutions featuring the Nokia N92, the first integrated DVB-H mobile device in the Nokia Nseries range.
- PacketVideo ? Booth #1744 and TI’s booth #1039 ? PacketVideo will demonstrate pvTV™, a hardware reference design which incorporates TI’s DTV1000 Hollywood™ single-chip solution and OMAP2420 applications processor with PacketVideo’s pvTV client software solution. PacketVideo will feature the Modeo-compliant DVB-H broadcast at 25fps QVGA with WMV and WMA, plus a 30 fps QVGA DVB-H local broadcast CBMS with AVC and AAC.
- Penthera Technologies ? Multiple booths ? Penthera will demonstrate its end-to-end mobile broadcast solution by powering Modeo’s DVB-H broadcast and by showing DVB-H client reception and interactivity applications including eCommerce, tele-voting and data acquisition.
- Roundbox ? Meeting Room #45 ? Roundbox will demonstrate its Roundbox Broadcast Server and Roundbox Broadcast Client Toolkit products in end-to-end DVB-H network. The system will feature live TV stations integrated with an operator-brandable, consumer friendly Electronic Service Guide and with guidance data provided by Gemstar-TV Guide.
- Texas Instruments ? Booth #1039 ? Experience how mobile DTV on the go will fit into your life with TI’s Hollywood™ single-chip solution, delivering a live mobile DTV experience at CTIA with crisp video and surround audio for mobile phones.
About the DVB-H Standard
DVB-H is an open procedure standard developed by the DVB Project and enjoys broad industry support with more than 100 companies working on DVB-H components, devices and services today. The open approach of the DVB-H standard nurtures flexibility of business models, competition and sales opportunities for the value chain. The DVB-H standard incorporates OFDM air interface technology with good spectral efficiency, immunity to multi-path fading and good mobile performance.
About the Mobile DTV Alliance
The Mobile DTV Alliance is an open industry consortium that focuses on promoting the best practices and open standards to deliver premium-quality broadcast television to mobile devices in North America. The Alliance includes leading companies from across the mobile business system and entertainment value chain. Promoter members include Intel, Microsoft, Modeo, Motorola, Nokia and Texas Instruments. For additional information on the Mobile DTV Alliance, please visit: www.mdtvalliance.org.